Medical report confirmed rape cases in Mading Jokthiang

 

A medical report from Agok hospital has confirmed that two women were indeed sexually assaulted last week. The report was produced by the hospital after a woman in Mading Jokthiang had reportedly said she was raped together with a friend in the early hours on Friday. She said they were raped by armed men after shooting took place.

One of the victims explained her terrible ordeal to Abyei FM as quoted below:

“Two people came inside leaving one person outside. This took place after they tried in vain to open the door. So, they forcefully pushed the door open injuring my friend in the head after a metallic bar used for supporting the door fell. One person sexually assaulted me while his colleague assaulted my friend. Shortly after raping me, he left and then another person came and raped me. They searched the house after raping us.”

She went on to say that she called for help from authorities who only responded after the daybreak.

“Shortly after they left, I removed my phone and made a phone call to a government official here in Aniet and explained what transpired. He said ok. I thought they would rescue us. If they had come at the time, they would have rescued us, but they failed. The following day, the authorities  came and asked about what happened. Their coming was unhelpful……. We went to the police station, picked form 8 and proceeded to the hospital where we received medical treatment”

Another report from community police stated that the incident occurred at gunpoint. No suspects have been arrested in connection to the case.

In the republic of South Sudan, rape is a criminal offence punishable by imprisonment or fine upon conviction. Article 247 (1) of South Sudan Penal Code Act 2008 states:

“Whoever, has sexual intercourse or carnal intercourse with another person, against his or her will or without his or her consent, commits the offence of rape, and upon conviction, shall be sentenced to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years and may also be liable to a fine.”

Abyei FM contacted Mijak-kol military barracks commander to get his view on the matter. He denied his officers’ involvement, but an eyewitness expressed his deep sorrow for the denials by the officer. He said that he was threatened with a gun in his room.

This is what Commander Liai Wol had to say in response after civilians said those who committed crimes could have come from Mijak-kol.

“It was said some days ago that women were raped. The victims should have gone to the police station to open a case against those who raped them. If the victims know whoever committed the crimes, they should identify them and they (offenders) will be called to stand trial. No soldier of mine left the barracks that night. If it is just said the soldiers raped, where did the soldiers come from?” He inquired.